Hey! If you are reading this post now, then it is because you are searching to know how to be a supportive spouse; welcome! In this post, I will show you a few steps you should take to achieve that in a short while.
The question is: what makes a supportive spouse? And what are the signs of a supportive spouse? We will take time to answer all these questions in this article.
Let’s dive in;
What is a supportive partner?
A supportive partner may mean different things to different people, so there is no general meaning to what a supportive partner means. However, having a supportive partner means that you have a partner who is always there for you, through thick and thin.
The fact is that we human beings, being emotional beings too are always in need of someone to love, respect, care and support us. Anyone who can provide those four things to us can be our supporter, and we value such a person well.
Our family and friends may be there to provide such for us, but in marriage or relationships, we want that special one in our life to fill that gap, and frankly, we feel so bad when they don’t.
Whenever we receive good support from our loved ones in our lowest moment, it boosts our confidence and mood. We also feel at home whenever we know that our supportive partner is around.
Any relationship will succeed when each partner understands how to support the other. Meanwhile, many people are not too sure of what to do to be a supportive partner. If you are who I described here, then congratulations, I will show you how soon.
Below are a few characteristics of a supportive spouse.
Characteristics Of A Supportive Partner.
15 Actionable Steps To Become A Supportive Partner Today.
- They Have Time For You: This may sound ridiculous to you, but it is actually complicating. The truth is that someone who really love you and support you will love for who you are and not who he/she wants you to be. If your partner is such that always wants you to be like someone else, he may not be that supportive, else he/she noticed that you are treading that partner. The supportive partner will will support the person you are at the moment,and if you have a dream to become better, they will also support you full time.
- Someone That Listens: Any supportive partner must be a good listener and they will hear whatever you want to say before trying to fix whatever needs to be fixed. They won’t interrupt you when your are talking, when you make mistakes, they wait for the best time to correct your mistakes.
- They Have Time For You: Fiala said that ” before a spouse can feel supported, the partner must go out of their ways to add more values to your relationship and you. They make every time they spend with you a quality one without distractions.
- They Support You Even When You Failed: The supportive partner is also that partner that stands firm at your back not minding your mistakes. They will also support you when you are not on the same page with him/her.
- They Do Everything To Make You Happy: If your partner allows you to watch SeaWorld channel and forfeit his cherished stations, it is not a sign of weakness but a big sign that they support you.
Welcome to this section of the post. Here we will be looking at the steps you should take to become a good support wife or a supportive husband, boyfriend, or girlfriend.
I have selected a few actionable steps for you to follow to become that supportive Partner you’ve always wished to be. See them below.
1) Believe In Your Partner:
A good step to be a supportive
Partner is to trust and believe in your partner. Believing in your partner gives them the courage to be and do their best. Your words as a loving partner can go a long way in your partner’s life, especially when you said them with openness and sincerity.
You don’t have to read the extraordinary script to achieve that, just a sincere appreciation for that little thing he or she did or just letting them know that they are the best thing that has happened to you.
You can try that now and see how your partner will feel about you. it doesn’t take much to win your partner’s confidence and live again.
2) Be Understanding:
This is one of the best qualities you must possess as you work to be a Supportive Partner. When your partner sees you as an understanding partner, he or she knows that you always see things differently.
And that shows that you understood your partner when they didn’t come home early, as usual, forget to bring the children from school, or cancel the lunch date plan.
Such wouldn’t cause arguments or fights, because you know that your partner respects and cherish you, even though they have disappointed you again and again. Now, to be more supportive, don’t assume things, learn to be open to all your spouse’s ideas and suggestions.
3) Be And Emotionally Available Partner:
Another great way to be a supportive wife or husband is to be emotionally available, which simply means to be truly ready to speak your feelings, be vulnerable, and be ready to face your fear, work it out, and move forward.
4) They Like To Apologize When Neccessary:
Apologizing to your partner when necessary is one of the greatest confliction strategies that keeps any relationship stronger. The supportive partners understand the secret and never stopped using it.
They are ready to say the word “sorry’ even when they are not the cause of the problem, not because they are weak, but because they are supportive and because want you to know that you can trust them and you can feel safer with them too.
5) Be A Good Listener:
As a prospective supportive man or woman, boyfriend or girlfriend, you must be ready to be a patient listener to your partner. A patient listener is a partner who pays attention to the partner while he or she is venting their displeasures or joy.
Don’t be In haste to stop them from talking, and don’t try correcting them even when they are not saying it rightly. Y
our spouse must feel secure coming to you when they need support from you, or when they need a shoulder to cry on. That’s how a supportive Partner shows his or her support.
6) Always Understand When It Is Time To Step In:
Most time, being a supportive partner doesn’t mean you should be everywhere every time; it means you must be observant to know when to either step in or leave a space.
As a supportive boyfriend, your female partner may need you at that very point when she is in the midst of a serious task hoping that someone offers to help: don’t overlook those moments, be quick to step in immediately; that will relieve and make her love you more.