So many articles have been written about how to have a happy marriage but not on how to deal with a narcissistic spouse.
Today, I am going to give you clear and easy steps on how you could do just that.
If you are reading this article now, that means you probably married a narcissist, your friend or someone you know married one, or you are planning to marry and don’t want to marry someone like that.
This write-up will help you solve your problem. So whether you are looking for how to deal with a narcissist wife or husband, or you are looking for how to take control away from a narcissist, then this post is for you.
However, if you are not sure who a narcissist is, then let me tell you a little about it.
Who is a Narcissist? –
A narcissist is someone who is always very full of himself (self-importance) they love to dominate in things like prestige, vanity, and power.
One thing about them is their inability to understand the damages they are inflicting on others around them or even themselves.
I am sure you now have a little knowledge of who a narcissist is. Does that describe the character of your man or wife? If yes, then you have nothing to fear.
This step by step tips will guide you on how to deal with a narcissistic spouse. The good news is that after reading this post, you’ll be able to learn:
- The narcissist’s weaknesses.
- How to take control away from a narcissist.
- How to deal with a narcissist tantrum.
- And finally, how to help a narcissist heal.
Let’s dive in.
How To Deal With A Narcissist Spouse Fast:-
Before you can confidently deal with a narcissistic spouse, you have to, first of all, know the narcissist’s weaknesses, and then find a way to strip him/her of their power. Here is how to do that.
How To Know The Narcissist’s Weaknesses.
As I earlier said, one of the fasted ways to deal with a narcissistic spouse is to know his /her weaknesses, but it will not be that easy to Identify the narcissist’s weaknesses.
It can also be most challenging to do that because they are pretty good at presenting a facade of strength and self-confidence.
Nevertheless, here are some familiar weaknesses of narcissists that you may want to keep in mind:
Insecurity: Despite their bravado, narcissists are often deeply insecure and afraid of being exposed as frauds.
Fragile self-esteem: Narcissists have a fragile sense of self-esteem that is easily damaged by criticism or perceived rejection.
Lack of empathy: Narcissists have difficulty connecting with and understanding the emotions of others, which can make them appear callous or insensitive.
Need for admiration: Narcissists crave attention and admiration from others and will go to great lengths to obtain it.
Control issues: Narcissists often have a strong need for control and may become angry or defensive when they feel that they are losing it.
Fear of abandonment: Narcissists may have a deep-seated fear of being abandoned, which can make them clingy or needy in relationships.
It’s worth noting that not all narcissists exhibit all of these weaknesses, and their behavior can be highly variable depending on their personality and circumstances.
Additionally, it’s important to approach interactions with narcissists with caution, as they can be manipulative and may attempt to exploit your vulnerabilities for their gain.
Now you know what the weakness of your narcissist is, it is time to look at how to deal with a narcissistic spouse. Check it out below.
How To Take Control Away From A Narcissist:-
You can talk about how to deal with a narcissistic spouse without talking about how to take his control away. Yes, that’s the foremost thing to do. This section of the post is to show you how you can successfully do that.
- You Must Stop Arguing With Them:- This will not be easy for you to do, but you must do it if you are serious about taking powers from your narcissistic partner. Even if they set the trap to make you angry, don’t fall into it. Also, don’t attempt to fight them. Your anger makes them happy, so do not let them win you this time. Their powers will fizzle out gradually if you do that.
- Always React With Respect And Empathy:- As I earlier said, narcissists, enjoy your outbursts, and they will want to win over you all the time, but don’t stoop to their level because they will dominate the conversation especially when you want to defend yourself or fight back. You can take control of the situation by making empathic statements about what is going on. It will make him/her calm down.
- Boundaries Are Important:- Narcissists are always self centered, and they believe they can say anything they like without caring about your feelings. If you let then, they will overstep your boundaries. To avoid that, be clear about your boundaries. Let them know what you want and don’t want and stand your ground on it.
How To Deal With A Narcissistic Spouse. Step One:- Write Down Your Reasons:-
The first thing to do to deal with a narcissistic spouse fast is to write your action plans down.
It is not an easy job to live with a narcissist, but if you have made up your mind not to leave that narcissist you love, then you must take a notepad and a pen and write down 3 reasons why you love and not want to lose him or her.
These are the lists you will continually look at when the going becomes tough and then get refreshed in the things you have planned to have a short time.
Your list may look something like this
- I have made up my mind to stay with my spouse through good and bad times.
- I know that my spouse is a wonderful person and will be superb shortly.
- As I remember the love that brought us together in the beginning, I promise to stand firm in my marriage.
- I will not try to change my spouse, God will someday make him/her change.
- Marriage is for better or worse, so I will be with my spouse through thick and thin.
Declare these words daily, things will fall into place as time goes on
2) How To Deal With A Narcissistic Spouse. Step Two:-Tell God About it:
You must know that only God has the power to change the situation. Prayer is the only weapon we have to talk to God so why not tell God about your spouse’s challenge and believe things will change? It will change.